My mom always made it for dad and us. Now, I make it for my husband and daughter. Its like a tradition being passed down the generations. I hope to teach my daughter this lovely dessert so she can make it for her family some day. Well, that's a long time away. For now I would love to share this recipe with all of you.
Caramel Custard....the most favourite dessert of the two most favourite men in my life. My dad and husband :)
The recipe my mom uses is a bit different from the one I have used here. I got this great recipe from my sister-in-law and found it a bit easier than the one my mom uses.
Caramel Custard makes a great dessert for dinner parties and will get your guests complimenting you on your cooking skills. This dessert is best served chilled so you can make it a day earlier and store it in the fridge.
To make this lovely dessert you will need
Preparation time - 15 minutes
Cooking time - 45 minutes
Serves - 8 people
Special equipment needed to make caramel custard
Flat based round stainless steel box with lid and a stainless steel steamer or a stand to place the box on.
3 tbsps sugar
500 ml fresh milk
1 tin condensed milk(sweet)
For making caramel
- Spread the sugar evenly on the base of the round box and place on the hob on high flame. As soon as you see the appearance of bubbles, reduce flame to low.
- Let it cook on low flame until the entire sugar caramelises.
- Make sure its spread evenly and put it aside to set. This takes around 5 minutes. It will begin to crack a bit when its hard. That's when you know its ready.
For making Custard
- Put the milk, eggs and condensed milk in a blender or use a hand blender and blend it until its nice and frothy on top.
- Finally, place some water in a big pot and immerse the steamer in it. The level of the water should not be higher than the level of the steamer. Place the box with the caramel on top of this.
- Pour the custard mix on top of this and close the lid of the box. Cover the pot and cook on high flame for 15 minutes, then lower the flame and cook for 30 minutes.
- Remove the box from the pot and open its lid to let it cool. Once it reaches room temperature, cover with the lid once again and put in the fridge to chill.
- Before serving, overturn it onto a plate and cut into triangular pieces.Serve chilled. Enjoy
- When you overturn the custard onto a plate, some of the caramel will pour out as syrup. You can use this syrup to pour on top of each slice and serve.