Tuesday, July 26, 2011

Caramel Custard



                                                                             

Caramel Custard....the most favourite dessert of the two most favourite men in my life. My dad and husband :)
 My mom always made it for dad and us. Now, I make it for my husband and daughter. Its like a tradition being passed down the generations. I hope to teach my daughter this lovely dessert so she can make it for her family some day. Well, that's a long time away. For now I would love to share this recipe with all of you.
The recipe my mom uses is a bit different from the one I have used here. I got this great recipe from my sister-in-law and found it a bit easier than the one my mom uses.


Caramel Custard makes a great dessert for dinner parties and will get your guests complimenting you on your cooking skills. This dessert is best served chilled so you can make it a day earlier and store it in the fridge.


To make this lovely dessert you will need
Preparation time - 15 minutes
Cooking time - 45 minutes
Serves - 8 people
Special equipment needed to make caramel custard
Flat based round stainless steel box with lid and a  stainless steel steamer or a stand to place the box on.

Ingredients
For Caramel
3 tbsps sugar
For Custard
500 ml fresh milk
4 eggs
1 tin condensed milk(sweet)
Procedure
For making caramel
  • Spread the sugar evenly on the base of the round box and place on the hob on high flame. As soon as you see the appearance of bubbles, reduce flame to low.
  • Let it cook on low flame until  the entire sugar caramelises.




  • Make sure its spread evenly and put it aside to set. This takes around 5 minutes. It will begin to crack a bit when its hard. That's when you know its ready.
For making Custard
  • Put the milk, eggs and condensed milk in a blender or use a hand blender and blend it until its nice and frothy on top. 
  • Finally, place some water in a big pot and immerse the steamer in it. The level of the water should not be higher than the level of the steamer. Place the box with the caramel on top of this.
  • Pour the custard mix on top of this and close the lid of the box. Cover the pot and cook on high flame for 15 minutes, then lower the flame and cook for 30 minutes.
  • Remove the box from the pot and open its lid to let it cool. Once it reaches room temperature, cover with the lid once again and put in the fridge to chill.
  • Before serving, overturn it onto a plate and cut into triangular pieces.Serve chilled. Enjoy


Notes

  1. When you overturn the custard onto a plate, some of the caramel will pour out as syrup. You can use this syrup to pour on top of each slice and serve.



Shabnam

10 comments:

  1. that slice looks like heaven !!! yummm

    ReplyDelete
  2. yay .. thanks for the mention ... loookssss yummmy ... :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. thanks : ) and thank you for the lovely recipe : )

    ReplyDelete
  4. looks yummm shabs.... im gonna try it soon....

    ReplyDelete
  5. thanks nuu : ) do try it! its real easy n yumm!

    ReplyDelete
  6. dude...how come i never got to try this in all these years??? i think i would remember something soooo gooood!!

    ReplyDelete
  7. as i said....my mom used to make it for us. I just started making it myself this November : ) got the reipe from Lubna
    try it. its just YUMM!!!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Simple awesome and delicious looking Caramel Custard.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Hi Shabnam,
    Firstly, thank you so much for this recipe. My husband and I have beautiful childhood memories of caramel custard. I have been on the lookout for a simple recipe for a long time. I prefer to not use the packaged mixes. Other recipes use 8 eggs and complicated bain-maire methods!!!! I came ard looking for a recipe for 'khubani ka Meetha' and found another gem! Love it!!
    - Merlyn

    ReplyDelete

addthis

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...